Vermont Marijuana Laws Made Easy for You
April 17, 2018 - Marijuana Laws
Vermont: The Green Mountains just Got Greener
In a recent turn of events, Vermont marijuana laws were updated, to make possession of recreational marijuana officially legal. After a veto of the 2017 bill, the bill was tweaked and reintroduced in the very beginning of January 2018, and it passed, going into full effect on July 1, 2018. Until the bill goes into effect, owning an ounce and under will still be a civil infraction with a $200 fine on first offense, so be careful the next couple of months. When it does go into effect, residents will be allowed to cultivate and possess up to an ounce of cannabis legally. As of now, the idea for a commercial market is being tabled until 2019, so more research can be done, putting the state in a similar boat as Massachusetts.
Medical marijuana in Vermont is the only way to get any edibles products in the state, as of now. The state actually legalized medical marijuana all the way back in 2004, and there is an up-and-running market for that. Is marijuana legal in Vermont? In July it will be, so hold your horses!
Current Legal Status in Vermont
- Medical Marijuana in Vermont: Legal since 2004
- Recreational Vermont Marijuana Laws: Will be legal as of July 1, 2018
- Policy group(s) active in state: Vermont Coalition to Regulate Marijuana, Americans for Safe Access
- Politician(s) leading legislative reform: Jean O’Sullivan, Christopher Pearson
- Top brand(s) based in state: Southern Vermont Wellness/Champlain Valley Dispensary
- Tax revenue generated by legalization of recreational marijuana: $0 because they still need to get their commercial market started
Previously, Jean O’Sullivan and Christopher Pearson submitted a satirical bill that would recriminalize alcohol in the state, to highlight how unfair it is that the two substances aren’t regulated in the same way under Vermont marijuana laws. It’s this kind of forward thinking that has this state as a trailblazer, when it comes to cannabis reform, explaining why medical marijuana in Vermont was legalized so early on.
As of July 2018, everyone will be able to grow their green in the Green Mountains. Until then, you might want to find out what’s going on in other states. You can check out all US marijuana laws here!