Texas Marijuana Laws Made Easy for You
April 17, 2018 - Marijuana Laws
Texas: Don’t Mess with Cannabis in Texas
Texas marijuana laws are certainly on the stricter side. First-time possession of two ounces or less gets you a misdemeanor, with a maximum fine of $2,000, and could have a year of incarceration attached to the penalty. That’s pretty hefty, but work is underway to lessen the restrictions in Harris County. In 2014, a First Chance Intervention program was announced in the county – which contains the city of Houston – that would allow marijuana offenders to go through drug education or community service, in place of imprisonment. In 2017, District Attorney Kim Ogg announced that people would no longer be imprisoned in Harris Country for marijuana offenses.
Medical marijuana in Texas only takes the form of CBD oil usage, so there is no legal way to use any real cannabis flower in the state. Is marijuana legal in Texas? Not yet. But it could be on its way.
Current Legal Status in Texas
- Medical Marijuana in Texas: CBD Oil only, since 2015
- Recreational Texas Marijuana Laws: Illegal, but decriminalized in Harris County
- Policy group(s) active in state: Texas NORML, Texans for Medical Marijuana, Texans for Responsible Marijuana Policy, Americans for Safe Access
- Politician(s) leading legislative reform: David Simpson, Kim Ogg
- Top brand(s) based in state: None
- Tax revenue generated by legalization of any marijuana: $0
While the Texas marijuana laws may seem pretty strict outside of Harris County, the conservative Tea Party candidate, David Simpson, actually made a lot of progress with his bill to legalize recreational use, citing God as not having made a mistake in creating cannabis. Medical marijuana in Texas also has groups looking out for its legalization, so pay attention and help them out if you want Texas to get on board with neighboring New Mexico’s system.
Everything is bigger in Texas – which sadly includes possession penalties – so check out other states and figure out where to go instead, by investigating all US marijuana laws here!