Tennessee Marijuana Laws Made Easy for You
April 17, 2018 - Marijuana Laws
Tennessee: Agriculture and Commerce is the Motto, but Not for Cannabis
If you’re trying to take a little trip down to Nashville or Memphis, know that the Tennessee marijuana laws are a bit stricter than neighboring Arkansas, but that those cities themselves have actually made their own decriminalization efforts. Both cities reduced penalties for possession of small amounts, with Memphis dropping it all the way down to $50. Outside of those two cities, however, you’ll be under state law, which puts the mandatory fine for possession at $250 and could lead to a year’s incarceration.
Medical marijuana in Tennessee is at about the bare minimum level of allowance, as far as the line for considering a cannabinoid legal. CBD oil is legal to treat some conditions, but you can only obtain it legally outside of the state, and if you can’t prove you found it legally outside of Tennessee, then it’s a misdemeanor. Is marijuana legal in Tennessee? Just barely, and only in oil form.
Current Legal Status in Tennessee
- Medical Marijuana in Tennessee: CBD Oil, only from outside the state, since 2015
- Recreational Tennessee Marijuana Laws: Illegal, but decriminalized in Nashville and Memphis
- Policy group(s) active in state: NORML Tennessee, Reform Tennessee, Tennessee Cannabis Coalition
- Politician(s) leading legislative reform: Antonio Parkinson
- Top brand(s) based in state: None
- Tax revenue generated by legalization of any marijuana: $0
The fight may seem far-fetched right now, but Beth Harwell is running for governor. While she isn’t really leading policy reform, she has said that she’s open to taking on medical marijuana in Tennessee, after seeing her sister benefit from it. As of now, public support needs to be voiced to lawmakers, so that the Tennessee marijuana laws can loosen their grip.
Tennessee has a ways to go, but at least the fun cities have relaxed a big with the penalties. If you’re looking for somewhere a little more green-friendly, you can check out all US marijuana laws here!