South Dakota Marijuana Laws Made Easy for You
South Dakota: Probably the Least Weed-Friendly State
If you enjoy cannabis, the South Dakota marijuana laws are screaming for you to stay away. Seriously. A first-time offense for possession is only a misdemeanor, but that’s a misdemeanor that comes with a $2,000 fine, and it could get you up to a year in prison. Decriminalization passed in 1977, but that was very quickly repealed. Another attempt was made in 2016, but that failed as well.
Medical marijuana in South Dakota is also a failed dream. Getting the medicine legalized failed in 2006 and in 2010, but it’s going to be on the ballot again in 2018, so make sure you get the word out. Is marijuana legal in South Dakota? Nope. Not at all whatsoever. You can’t even get CBD.
Current Legal Status in South Dakota
- Medical Marijuana in South Dakota: Illegal
- Recreational South Dakota Marijuana Laws: Illegal
- Policy group(s) active in state: New Approach South Dakota,
- Politician(s) NOT leading legislative reform: Let’s just say they don’t like weed
- Top brand(s) based in state: None
- Projected tax revenue generated by legalization of recreational marijuana: $0
So yeah, South Dakota marijuana laws aren’t really changing anytime soon. Medical marijuana in South Dakota also seems pretty far off at this point, so I would just suggest shooting a bit farther north and heading to North Dakota if you can.
South Dakota killing all your good-green vibes? Check out all US marijuana laws here!