Louisiana Marijuana Laws Made Easy for You
Louisiana: Mardi Gras, but not Mardi Grass
When it comes to Louisiana marijuana laws, things aren’t as bad as they are in Alabama, but it’s not great, either. In 2015, things did get a little better, when Louisiana decriminalized possession and lowered all of the penalties in general. That same year saw the start of medical marijuana in Louisiana. There still aren’t any dispensaries, but they’ll hopefully open one this year. Is marijuana legal in Louisiana? Medically, yes – and you can almost buy it recreationally, too.
Current Legal Status in Louisiana
- Medical Marijuana in Louisiana: Legal
- Recreational Louisiana Marijuana Laws: Decriminalized
- Policy group(s) active in state: Sensible Marijuana Policy for Louisiana, Louisiana Cannabis Association
- Politician(s) leading legislative reform: Edmond Jordan
- Top brand(s) based in state: None yet
- Tax revenue generated by legalization of medical marijuana: $0, because they haven’t opened a dispensary yet
It seems that anyone vacationing in New Orleans looking for some delicious THC cooking might have to wait until Edmond Jordan gets his way, but medical marijuana in Louisiana is soon to be going strong. If you’re looking to Louisiana marijuana laws to lean toward some recreational legality, make sure your voice is heard by your lawmakers.
Louisiana’s making good progress with cannabis, unlike some neighbors. Check out all US marijuana laws here!